Monday, January 16, 2012

I PICK books

Every morning, when the students come in, they all have jobs to do.  They need to unpack their home/school folder, take lunch count, get their chairs and their book boxes, and then silent read.  I have noticed over the last few weeks, that many students have been having a hard time picking books that hold their interest.  I am reading a professional book called  The Daily Five and the authors mention the "I PICK" method which teaches the students to pick "good fit" books.   For the last two weeks, I have been teaching the students all about the "I PICK" method of choosing books.  The steps are very easy. They are:
  • I - I pick my own book
  • P - What is the purpose of my book? Do I want a funny book to entertain me or a book to teach me how to take care of my new pet hamster?
  • I  - Does the book interest me?  Will the book hold my attention? Do I want to read this book?
  • C - Do I comprehend and understand everything that is written in the book?  Can I tell someone what this book is about?
  • K - Do I know all of the words? Is this a good book for me or is it too hard?
Here is a picture of the posters that we now have hanging in our room.  Ask your child if they are picking "good fit" books to read!






No comments:

Post a Comment